The Epilepsy and Seizure Management course will assist the support workers in working with people who have seizures. Support workers do not typically need specialist skills, provided they have a clear understanding of the procedures to follow in seizure episodes. The course also includes information about first aid for seizures.
Through the course, the support workers will learn about-
- Different types of seizures, seizure triggers, and ways to prevent them.
- Factors that increase risk and appropriate methods of control
- Identifying and minimizing exposure to seizure triggers.
- Observing the person and identifying early indicators of seizure, and taking action immediately
- Administering epilepsy medication and control procedures
- Demonstrating the application of first aid such as positioning and cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Training in medication-specific emergency management procedures.
A Certificate of Completion is issued to those who complete the course and administer medication for seizures.